NNPC and CBN has agreed to fund the feeding and accommodation of Nigerian evacuated from abroad.
The Minister of foreign affairs, Geoffrey Onyeama made disclosed this information this on Monday during the press briefing of the presidential task force on COVID-19.
Geoffrey Onyeama said that the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) and the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has jointly agreed to sponsor the accommodation and feeding of Nigerians returning from abroad as their quota of the Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR).
The Federal government has been the one funding the first batch of 6000 returnees to the country who are currently on quarantine in Lagos and Abuja hotels.
Also, Nigerian government has earlier announced that the second batch of 4000 Nigerians who show interest in returning home will be responsible for paying their hotel and feeding bills.
However, Onyeama explained that he had reached out to the NNPC and CBN in lieu of the advise given by the Minister of environment, Dr. Muhammad Mahmood who is also member of the Presidential Task Force (PTF).
The later had earlier advised to seek for funds for the accommodation and feedings of the evacuees during the period of their isolation, which is just two weeks.
In the press briefing, Onyeama explained that the decision of the federal government for the evacuees to sponsor their feeding and accommodation was because of lack of fund.
Explaining further, he said the funding for the first three batches evacuated was meant for something else but had to be diverted with the hope of receiving funding from other sources, but the fund has dried up.
Hence, his decision to contact the governor of CBN who agreed to share it with NNPC. Fortunately, the GMD of NNPC also agreed to it.
PC: Sun News Online