Los Angeles to protest against police brutality as it celebrates her 50 years after the first pride parade.
The invent was initially cancelled due to the advent of coronavirus but the organisers has on Wednesday announced the change of plans.
The protest is set to be a campaign against racial discrimination, injustice and police brutality.
Christopher Street West (CSW), a non-profit organization who is the organiser started organising the annual pride parade 50 years ago.
However, the group said the annual parade will be replaced by a solidarity March this year in response to “racial injustice, systemic racism and all forms of oppression.”
Last month, organizers canceled the event and moved the celebrations online to prevent further spread of COVID-19, but there has been a change of plans and the event is now scheduled to hold on the 14th of June.
Activists plan to assemble peacefully June 14 at 10 a.m. local time at Hollywood Blvd. and Highland Ave. in Los Angeles, near the location of the first-ever legal Pride Parade that took place in 1970, one year after the uprising at the Stonewall Inn in New York. In a news release Wednesday, organizers highlighted the overlapping missions of Pride and the Black community.
“Fifty years ago Christopher Street West took to the streets of Hollywood Blvd in order to peacefully protest against police brutality and oppression,”
Estevan Montemayor, president of the CSW Board of Directors, said.
“It is our moral imperative to honor the legacy of Marsha P. Johnson and Sylvia Rivera, who bravely led the Stonewall uprising, by standing in solidarity with the Black community against systemic racism and joining the fight for meaningful and long-lasting reform.”
It’s unclear whether the march is a collaboration with Black Lives Matter. The L.A. division of the organization did not immediately respond to CBS News’ request for comment.
Recommended: Music: Bazan Barka Ba by Israel Abraham
However, many supporters of the organization has taken to twitter to express their concern as regards the plan to gather many individuals as it may lead to an increase in the number of COVID-19 cases in the city as the city is still under partial lockdown.
Moreso, health officials have warned that a resurgence of cases in cities where protesters gathered could lead to a need for further shutdowns.
But the organizers has stressed the importance of wearing face masks, in accordance with California Department of Public Health guidelines, but did not specify if any special coronavirus-related safety measures would be put in place.
Source: CBS News
AD: Get domain name at the cheapest rate from Nigeria domain name provider, Click here.