Another dimension of punishment on rape offenders in Kaduna has been confirmed by the state government as the governor signed into law, the bill that award castration as punishment for rape offenders in the state.
The bill which prescribes full surgical castration to all convicted rape offenders in the state has officially become law upon the consent of Governor Nasir El-Rufai.
This was disclosed by the Governor’s spokesman, Muyiwa Adekeye on Wednesday, confirming the approval.
The state House of Assembly noted that “with the new law, anyone convicted of rape will have his organ surgically removed so that even upon completion of his jail term, he will not be able to commit the crime again.
It added that “in addition to the castration of the convicted rapist, the new law recommends 21 years imprisonment for the rape of an adult and life imprisonment for the rape of a minor.”
While signing the law, governor El-Rufai noted that in addition, such convicts will be listed in the sex offenders register to be published by the Attorney-General of the state.
He stated that these drastic penalties are required to help further protect children from such serious crimes.
Below are the details of the amended Penal Code below.
The Kaduna State Penal Code (amendment) law 2020 amends the penal code law (no.5) of Kaduna State, 2017 by substituting section 258 as follows:
1. Whoever commits rape of a child below the age of fourteen (14) years shall on conviction, be punished with surgical castration and death.
2. Whoever has sexual intercourse with a male child below the age of fourteen years shall be punished with surgical castration and death.
3. Where a female adult is convicted for the offence of rape of a child, the court shall punish the accused with bilateral salpingectomy and death.
4. Where the victim is above fourteen years, the court shall on conviction sentence the accused with a punishment of surgical castration and life imprisonment.
5. Where the convict is a child, the court shall order as appropriate under the children and young person law cap 26 laws of Kaduna State 1991.
IMPORTANT: Don’t miss out, click here to join us on telegram.
6. Where the victim is a child, the court shall in addition to the conviction, order that the convict be listed in the sex offenders register to be published by the Attorney General.
7. Where the court is trying the offence of rape involving a child below the age of fourteen years, corroboration of a medical report shall be necessary.
Your feedback motivates us to better inform you, kindly share your opinion in the comment box below.
Don’t forget you can start receiving our news updates on whatsapp, click here.
AD: Get domain name at the cheapest rate from Nigeria domain name provider, Click here.