With the uncommon energy dispelled by Nigerian citizens towards putting an end to the operations of the Federal Special Anti-Robbery Squad (F-SARS), a department in Nigeria Police Force, the federal government and the entire police force were obliged to giving in to the majority demand of scrapping the police squad.
However, what happens to the primary assignment of the said squad? Would it be left without it being taken care of? What about the possibilities of an increase in the rate of cyber crimes, fraud, robbery, e.t.c. among citizens of the country? These are some of the numerous questions running through the minds of the citizens.
To this end, the IGP and the entire police force has given some clarifications on the dissolution of the police special force, this they tagged as â€œFive (5) Things to Know About The Dissolution of Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS)â€ and signed by the Police Public Relations Officer, DCP Frank Mba, on Sunday, 11th of October.
According to the statement, the following 5 points should be noted concerning the scrapping of SARS;
1. The Inspector General of Police has dissolved the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) across the 36 states of the federation as well as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT). This implies that no officer under the unit would be seen on the road anymore.
2. All officers serving in the unit will be redeployed to other Police Commands, Formations and Units. This implies that the ex-SARS operatives are still members of the police force and will be redeployed to other departments and units within the force.
3. A new policing arrangement for tackling the offences of Armed-Robbery and other violent crimes will be unveiled to the public soon. It also implies that the police is working on constituting another unit who will take the mantle of executing the functions of SARS across the country.
4. A Citizens and Strategic Stakeholders Forum will be launched to provide an avenue for citizens to regularly interface and advise the police authority on issues touching on the general public. That is, the Nigeria Police is opened for dialogue and progressive advices from the citizens in order to effective discharge their duties and protect the lives of the citizens.
5. To deal with the reports of crime committing against citizens, an investigative team will be constituted which will include Civil Society Organizations and culprits will be punished. Lastly, police is ready to work with the citizens in order to check the unprofessional activities of the personnels.
AD: Get domain name at the cheapest rate from Nigeria domain name provider, Click here.